Friday, November 25, 2011

A New Book

I've got a new book I'm going through, but so far I'm simply being annoyed by the forewords.

This is a Christian book by Thomas Merton in which he discusses Christian prayer. I do not like having to wade through fully 12% of the book which is forewords by Buddhists discussing how contemplative prayer is used in THEIR religion. There are dozens and dozens of books on Buddhism. I could have purchased any of those if I had my wish.

This is my first study of Thomas Merton and I'm hoping that either the 88% of the book remaining is much better than the multiple forewords, or that his other writings contain some specific information that may be of much greater value.


2 comments:

Ima Wurdibitsch said...

I don't know which of Merton's works you are reading but don't totally discount the rest. Apparently, he was close with the Buddhist monk, Thich Nhat Hanh. Hanh had some lovely ideas that mesh nicely with Christian beliefs.

Ernest said...

I'm finding Merton's work to be good reading.