Monday, December 19, 2011

Still alive!

We made it to Texas, finally. It was a grueling trip full of trials and suffering and patience-building exercises. But we are HERE. We've only been here for a short time so far ... about 3 days, but we've got the RV in position and the cabin squared up. Here's some photos my wife has taken so far.

Left to right: Me, Forerunner, and my oldest son
I get Texas dust out of my eyes while Forerunner squares some holes.

Posts are set and floor supports in place
Taking a Break
We're not really such taciturn and surly fellows, but we're bone tired and both of us are fighting a cold we picked up traveling down here. We don't have any water supply yet but a neighbor down the road is helping us out and letting us fill up in her faucet. Today we were pretty much rained out but we did manage to get all of the building materials ordered and delivered, including a 550 gallon water tank to catch the rain once the roof goes up.

So far we're 3 days in on labor and about $4500 in building materials. That doesn't include roofing yet but I expect that to cost an extra $1000 all said. This is for a 16x32 cabin.

Our biggest problem right now is getting used to being in each other's pockets. We had a lot more space in our old house than we do in an RV and the weather hasn't been nice enough to let all the kids and everyone spill outside. We're also missing a cat. Our outdoor cat took exception to being hauled across the country and when we released him here he decided to head for the hills. He's clever enough to survive out here but I'm afraid we've violated his civil rights to such a degree as to never see him again. I might be the same way if you shoved me into a crate and transported me 5 states away against my will.

Stay tuned for more updates and once we're up and rolling again the Bunker Index will return to normal!

8 comments:

Dyson said...

Looks like a good start...

Just think, one day these will be all great memories, LOL...

This is a temp cabin I suppose as I thought there was going to be sandbags involved...

Anonymous said...

I would suggest a tent or two for anyone who needs to get away from everyone for a while. Best wishes to you and welcome to Texas!

Bluesgal said...

Congratulations! So happy to hear you guys arrived safely.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear everyone is doing fine. Looks like a good start, and I hope it'll continue smoothly.

When time permits, please do keep us informed, with pictures! Take care and have a blessed Christmas!

OD from HT said...

Thank you for the update! Glad all is well and things are moving along. Praying for a smooth transition for you all. Have a Blessed Christmas!

Patrice said...

Glad you all made it down safely. Looks like you've got a good start on things down there. I second the tent idea.

Anonymous said...

I'm also glad to hear you made it safely. Having lived in an RV with 4 people and 4 dogs I know how hard it get be when you can't get out. The tents may be a good idea.

I didn't know Forerunner was going with you. Is his family moving there too, or just going a long to help you get started?

Ernest said...

Forerunner agreed to come down and help me build this thing. What I had in mind was sort of a ghetto cabin but his building skills won't allow for such. He's a whiz at building and this is a far sturdier and nicer home than anything we've ever lived in, including the "professional" homes scattered all along the way. I'm very impressed.

Back to the earthbag thing, yeah, this is supposed to be a temporary cabin but we wanted a well-built and sound place for all sorts of reasons. It'll be a great guest house and then a stellar first house for one of my sons to start a family in.