Thursday, March 22, 2012

Once Bitten Twice Shy

My dog Sam bites people.

He doesn't bite me or my family members. He's very gentle and submissive with us all. But he has been known to bite strangers. Even strangers whom I have instructed him NOT to bite.

He is a fearful and nervous dog at his core and it impacts his view of people and the world. Strangers are dangerous and should be bitten. That is Sam's default belief. When people don't like dogs he is even more inclined to bite them.

I can relate to this aspect of Sam as if I am not careful it will become my default position as well. When I lose sight of the Lord then I become fearful and nervous. I am likely to bite.

I pray this evening that my Sam-like nature be suppressed and that I learn to rely on God's guidance when meeting new people. That I learn that not everyone needs to be bitten.

1 comment:

Cyndi said...

Oh, Bite Me, Ernie!


LOL! It just seemed like the appropriate response!