Friday, June 1, 2012

Busy Day

I finished two more knives today. The first was part of a kitchen set that I'm doing for a gift and the other was ... well ... me playing. I have two bolo blades that I've been stuck with since last year. I don't like them much as they are made of cheap Chinese steel. I'm not incredibly pleased with the company that I ordered them from, but that's another story.

As I'm getting down to the bottom of the barrel in my blade stock I decided I'd put a specialty handle on one of those bolos. It turned out absolutely awesome and when I distressed the blade metal it came even better.

The wood I used for that handle is from a board I picked up in a sawmill scrap pile a couple of months ago. This is only the second handle I made from it and I have enough to do quite a few more. A good thing too as this may be the last of this particular type of wood in existence. That sawmill specializes in "salvage wood" and the board came from building out in West Texas that was a hundred years old or more. It's from an extinct species of pine. The rest of the boards were unusable but this one the sawmill let me take home for free. They burned the rest.

As far as I know, this might be the last pieces of this particular type of wood that the world will ever see and it's in my hands to do with as I will.

Cool, ain't it?

No comments: