Sunday, January 27, 2013

ACHHHHHEWWWW!

I've got the flu. Blech. I had thought I had the flu back over the Christmas holidays, but it never manifested into anything real. I guess that was just a warm-up exercise.

I ran into my friend up at the grocery store this morning, where I went to grab some orange juice. My wife and I have a running argument as to whether or not orange juice actually helps you kick a cold. I say it does because of the Vitamin C, and she says there is no real Vitamin C in there, only sugar. I haven't won an argument with her in a decade but I still got my orange juice.
 
So my friend asks me if I'd called this other fellow about a job that needs doing. The other fellow's house burned down and he needs someone to haul off all of the debris (after knocking down the rubble with my backhoe). Might be about 3-4 days work, which would cover me for about 2 months. I hadn't been able to get in touch with the other guy, but I need to try again.
 
Where am I going with this fever-addled story? I was just pondering on the fact that the self-employed don't get any "sick days". There is no pay for the man who stays at home due to illness. I'm not reflecting on the fairness or justice of this. No, I haven't joined the "Occupy" movement. I'm just reflecting on the situation and the need to store up a little food and cash to get you through.
 
 

3 comments:

Margie said...

And a LOT of people who work full-time jobs don't get sick pay either, so what is your point?

Gorges Smythe said...

I was only fully self-employed for about seven years. I think it might have worked with a co-operative wife. Tomorrow's my last day of work, so I may try to scramble for a few bucks until I get some other horrible job that makes me a "respectable" member of society. Hope you feel better soon.

Margie said...

Self-employed or employer employed, what is the difference Gorges? I have been both and don't see one as more "respectable" than the other!