Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Illinois Gun Ban Legislation HB 1263 Summary

Glad I'm not still in Illinois. Though from this it looks I would only have two guns that fell under the tender administrations of the Illinois State Police.

Ok, here's a brief summary of the weapons banned under this legislation:

-Any semi-automatic or pump action rifle which can accept a detachable magazine or has a folding stock, a pistol grip, or a barrel shroud.

-Any semi-automatic pistol which can accept a detachable magazine or has an external magazine or a shroud or weighs over 50 ounces unloaded.

-Any weapon that is a semi-automatic version of an automatic one.

-Anything semi-automatic which holds more than 10 rounds.

Under this, you have to register with the state police any of these weapons no later than 90 days after January 1, 2014. After that date, you can only transfer the weapon to a heir, to someone out of state, or to a licensed firearms dealer (who can't sell it to anyone in the state). And within 10 days you've got to notify the state police as to who you sold/transferred it to.

Then the law exempts law enforcement, prison wardens, soldiers (only while performing their official duties or traveling in Illinois), and registered olympic atheletes.

There's a lot of stuff in there about control, licensing, and monitoring of shooting ranges which I won't go into.

Getting caught with an unregistered weapon after January 1, 2014 is a CLASS 3 FELONY. Getting caught the second time is a CLASS 2 FELONY. The felony charges stack with each other. If you get caught with 3 unregistered guns then it is THREE DIFFERENT CHARGES.

If you lose your guns in a "tragic canoe accident" then you have 72 hours to notify the state police.

1 comment:

Ima Wurdibitsch said...

Ernest,
You and your family are an inspiration to me. While I can only imagine the time it takes to continue work on your home and land and shop, I truly appreciate the fact that you take the time to blog. I frequently direct people to your blog. In some cases (because I know folks don't always click through to read), I will just copy and paste your post (with a link to your site). I do this to try to make sure your words are "heard" by more people. One of these posts was your recent one about "The Problems of a Gray Man". Wow. Wow. Wow. Thank you. I was struggling with this very issue. While I haven't blogged in far too long, I will speak up. I will trust in God. I will, as my mother advised me to do when I struggle with what to do now: "Do the next right thing."

Thank you for doing the right thing and inspiring those of us out here in the ether.