Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Bored?

I was working with a man today and he was taking a long time to do something and I suppose he felt guilty at me waiting on him.

He asked if I was bored.

I immediately replied, "I don't get bored."

Later I thought about that reply and wondered at what an odd statement it was to make.

In even more wonder, I see now that it is true. When I have to wait on someone, I generally pull out a book. It is impossible for me to be bored when I have a book. If I am in a situation where I can't read a book, then I retreat into my own head. I contemplate bible verses I have memorized, or books I've read, or sometimes just turn over pleasant memories.

Boredom seems to be a state in which you wish you could be doing something other than what you are doing.

I've spent so much of my life trapped in that state that I have evolved defensive mechanisms to cope with it. I simply am no longer capable of being bored. There is nothing any external force could do to keep me from retreating into my own head.

Perhaps this trick will serve me well when I'm in prison.

1 comment:

Gorges Smythe said...

I don't get bored, either. I could set on a stump and watch two pissants fight and call itb entertainment. See ya in the big house!