Monday, April 15, 2013

Sprouts

I don't like thinning out plants. I've always had such difficulty getting seeds to sprout (before I learned the secrets of soil temperature) that pulling up a baby plant only to toss it into the compost is a horror to me.

It seems to much like playing God, choosing who will live and who will die.

But thinned the cabbage plants must be. I had 2 year old seed that I put in extra thickly to make sure it sprouted, but it appears the years have been good to it. There's a lush carpet of cabbage sprouts in that bed. So I'm pulling up the baby ones where I don't want them to be (or that look like they might make less of a plant overall) and putting them in a bowl for consumption tonight. I'll wash them off and mix them in with some scrambled eggs and onions for a little green consumption. It's only about half a cup of greens, but every bit of nutrition helps around here. Waste not, want not.

No comments: