Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Courage

I've been struggling with this one all day. I'm not sure what to say about this, but a Christian pastor in Iran has been sentenced to death and is to be executed as early as today. He's Iranian born and heads a small church in Iran of about 400 Christians. When he complained to the government that his son (a Christian) was being forced to read the Koran in school, they arrested him. Later they accused him of apostasy (leaving Islam) though he has never been a practicioner as an adult. No matter, the court said. He was brought up in a Muslim family and thus his conversion to Christianity is apostasy and he has been sentenced to die.

From the article:

When asked to repent, Nadarkhani stated: "Repent means to return. What should I return to? To the blasphemy that I had before my faith in Christ?"

"To the religion of your ancestors, Islam," the judge replied, according to the American Center for Law & Justice.

"I cannot," Nadarkhani said.

Would you have the courage to die for your Lord? Would you have the courage to stand before your accusers and refuse them, knowing it means death? Our Christian brother Nadarkhani has a wife and two children.

Think carefully. Your chance may be coming.

4 comments:

Patrice said...

Wow, that is a tough thing to have to face, not only for him but for his family. Unfortunately we probably will all be facing the same thing sooner than we think. I'll be keeping him and his family in my prayers. I can't even imagine what his poor wife is going through.

Dyson said...

I have thought of this many times... While I know it is easy to say so now I pray that He would be beside me in that dark hour of need...

After reading (may years ago) some of what the early Christians in Rome went through I have often posed this question...

We should all take note of the courage of this man... Someone who truly believes... I will not take the mark of the beast...

Dyson said...

Additionally this apostasy applies to Obama... He grew up in a Muslim family so if they really believed he had converted to Christianity then it would be the same for him... Interesting...

Janice said...

When I first read the headline "Pastor to be Executed for Christian Beliefs", I didn't assume he was in the Middle East. What does it say about the state of our country when I actually believed this was happening in the U.S.? I've reached the point that nothing shocks me anymore.
Shawn from SAHMVILLE