Thursday, February 23, 2012

February 23 Bunker Index - Hot and Muggy in Houston

The dawn finds me in a cheap hotel in Houston. A customer has retained my services for part of today (all I would concede to) and I traveled out here late last night. They are a small company that has a service that a big company desires and their computer systems cannot handle the load the big company is about to throw at them. They're like the proverbial toad who has caught a heron ... it's too big to swallow but too good to let go. Who eats who is yet to be seen.

It's getting harder and harder to leave the farm, not particularly because there's so much work to be done, but because things have achieved a level of normalcy and I desire to be there instead. I need these financial resources to help me achieve some of the projects that remain (a well, the materials to finish the cabin, and the fencing and livestock) but it is a hardship for me to leave.

Especially for a city like Houston. If it's not my least favorite city in America, it's in the top five list. Crime infested, dank and smelly, and filled everywhere you look with the things I hate most about cities. When I was a child, everyone (mostly rural poor) spoke of Houston as the place to go to get rich. Many of my kinfolk gave up the agrarian lifestyle to come "make it" in Houston. Some did indeed make it, and the city life broke their families and their lives.

(Gen 4:16) Then Cain went away from the presence of the LORD and settled in the land of Nod, east of Eden.

(Gen 4:17) Cain knew his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch. When he built a city, he called the name of the city after the name of his son, Enoch.

We cannot forget that the first city was built by a man who was fleeing the presence of God and trying to avoid punishment for his sins. I never think of anything else when I see the distant glow of a city on the horizon and the skyline first comes into view. Lord almighty, if you decide to smite Houston for its hubris and its part in the destruction of Your world, then let it be sometime after 5pm today when Houston is in my rearview mirror.



1. Even if you win, you might lose. This man spent 112 days in jail waiting for his trial after he was forced to shoot a raging drunk in self-defense.  In the course of those 112 days he lost his job, his apartment, and all of his belongings.

2. The Feds are making an all-out propaganda assault against raw milk.  They want all things that you can produce to free yourself from the system to be illegal. I prefer raw milk every time over the pasteurized stuff. At my house, we call pasteurized milk "dead milk". It's the rotting corpse of milk. It USED to be milk but now it's a pus-filled liquid waiting for the bad bacteria to reinfect it and take over. I absolutely despise pasteurized milk.

3. Facebook's secret censorship list is leaked by a Third-World contractor.  Interesting what made the list.

4. There are hints of our government arming Syrian rebels. This worked out so well in Libya, after all. No trustworthy link yet. Watch this one develop.



1 comment:

Walt N Carol said...

Heh, they like to use big numbers so much for their little "smear campains" ... "... 200 out of 239 hospitalizations during the study ....."

And just above that "After a 13-year review" .. so 200 incidents in 13 years ... I'd say that's perty darn good!