Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Obligations to the World

As Christians, what exactly are our obligations to the outside world? Must we change it? Must we pound our heads against the wall repeatedly?

Recently I observed the castigation of a person whose belief in tyranny has been on display for years. In every forum post this person has advocated for tyranny and denigrated those who spoke against it. Yet when this person finally comes forth and speaks their mind in a clear pro-tyranny statement, the hue and cry was sounded and the community rallied against them.

I can barely change myself, and only that with the grace and ever-present patience and compassion of God. Why would I presume to change someone else's mind?

(Exo 14:17) And I, behold, I will harden the hearts of the Egyptians, and they shall follow them: and I will get me honour upon Pharaoh, and upon all his host, upon his chariots, and upon his horsemen.

God has hardened the hearts of many and it is beyond us to change them. I do not know why He has done this, but it clearly is to their own destruction and to his glory. When we meet these people, what obligation do we have to try and change their hearts?

This I don't know and can provide no answers for you. Perhaps you have some for me. At this point, I retire to my book ("Christian Disciplines"by Oswald Chambers) and leave the world to its own devices.

1 comment:

Farmboy said...

My study group went over this a couple of months ago and the loose consensus was that the idea of the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob is the problem. It's not so much that the Almighty did the hardening, but the idea that he exists (as a threat to their gods) hardens their hearts.

How do we deal with this? Live by example. You can't make people get it. Pigs don't appreciate pearls. We are all at a different place in our walk. Let your light shine to the extent others want your illumination. Shalom.