Thursday, September 6, 2012

History Buff

I love Civil War history. Love, love, love it. I enjoy all history, but why this patch of American history above all others? In 10,000 years of recorded history, why do I focus so much on one small set?

Because it impacted (and continues to impact) my family so much.

I come from the union of two family lines ... the Irish "Freels" and the Scottish "Kincaids". Both families arrived in America around 1700 but continued to bring family members over right into the 1930's. We were primarily in the hills and mountains of Kentucky, like most of the other Gaelic immigrants. Until the Civil War when the Federal Government burned us out. My family fled to Oklahoma where they stayed until World War 2. I have kinfolk scattered from the Kentucky hill tribes all the way to Southern Texas now.

Civil War and the heavy-handedness of a tyrannical government broke my family to pieces and turned us out of our land. This is an important piece of history which shapes us all. It is the lens from which I view government today.

2 comments:

Brock Townsend said...

Civil War and the heavy-handedness of a tyrannical government broke my family to pieces and turned us out of our land. This is an important piece of history which shapes us all. It is the lens from which I view government today.

We lost our Republic in 1865.

Gorges Smythe said...

Funny how we hear so little about the cruelty of the North, but so much about that of the South.