Monday, September 19, 2011

The Sustainable Lifestyle

Part of having a survival mentality is staying healthy. It's hard to get off grid or live a sustainable lifestyle if you're kicking back four prescription drugs every morn with breakfast. The good news is that the foods that makes us sick are also the ones that are the biggest pains to grow and harvest.

Worried about cavities? Then quit eating sugar and grains. Heart disease? Then quit eating sugar and grains. Diabetes? Then quit eating sugar and grains. Alzheimer's? Then quit eating sugar and grains.

Are you starting to notice a trend here? Collectively, most of the health problems in our society are known as the diseases of civilization. Every time a group of previously healthy people begins to eat a modern western diet with all the sugar, grains, and starches that we consider "staples," they begin to develop those same diseases.

However, if you think getting an unwilling spouse to help you with prepping is hard, you should try getting said spouse to change his diet. Ernie says I can have his potatoes when I pry them from his cold, dead fingers. But that's what cast iron skillets are for: unconscious will work just as well.

6 comments:

Patrice said...

Sorry I have to agree with Ernie on changing one's diet, it very difficult giving up yummy foods you were raised on. May I suggest baby steps to modifying his diet.

Ernest said...

I have been eating LESS potatoes so that's not too bad.

The primal diet she's talking about isn't really so difficult when you produce your own food. A whole lot of milk and dairy and not a lot of grains. Sounds like it's perfect for goat herders like us, don't it?

Aine said...

I am with Ernie, I can, and have given up lots of foods but leave my taters alone! It seems to me it's all the junk people tend to dump on top or mix into the potatoes that are really bad for you.

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

The problem with potatoes is how they raise blood sugar. High blood sugar means high insulin, which means weight gain and health problems. They can be okay in small portions occasionally, just not a plateful every night. :-) Especially not while I still have baby weight to lose.

Patrice said...

I have to agree with you on the raising blood sugar issue, but they are just so dang tasty. :) Everything in moderation I guess.

Dyson said...

I'll go with the moderation crowd. No doubt upping the vegetable intake is good but gotta have my grits...

Nice to see some balance from the other side, Only question is who is the doom and who is the gloom, LOL