Tuesday, January 31, 2012


I installed the solar panels on the roof of the powerhouse today and then hooked up all the wires and the other components. I had to call the vendor and ask a few questions, but once the basic principle was explained then it really wasn't that difficult. Just time consuming making sure all the wires were connected properly.

I didn't get it hooked up until about 4pm today so I'm not sure exactly how much power it was producing, and I'm sure there are a lot of inefficiences in the system (starting with the angle of the solar panels themselves). But we're off to a good start. I was able to see the battery being charged and the readout on the charge controller indicated about 70 volts was coming in. I don't know if that's low or high or what yet. More research is required.

Tomorrow we're ready to get the safety wall up in the loft and then tomorrow night we'll be spending our first night inside! We're jumping ahead a little bit but the woodstove is in place. I just need to run the stovepipe now and I'm confused as to how to do that. A little internet research should reveal that secret.

God is great!


Patrice said...

Fantastic!!! I am always amazed when projects actually come together and work well upon completion. ;)You'll be living comfortably in your new home before you know it.

HermitJim said...

Looks like it's all starting to come together!

Outstanding! Looking forward to seeing the future post on the project!